Thursday, December 17, 2009

4th Letter - postmarked 12/2/08 - SLC

Mom,

Well, here I am, safe and alive in São Paulo. I'm sorry I couldn't call twice, er, at all in Guarinos Int. Airport. We went through very quickly. Maybe I'm just jet-lagged, but I am feeling the inevitable "Not happy" that missionaries go through. To put it bluntly, I'm homesick, haha. I miss home, heck I miss, Provo. I don't know why, but the Adversary is doing a number on me. I know my companions, they're Elders Ulbrich and Scudder, but I am unreasonably moved to dislike being their companion. I miss Elder Lewis, but at the same time, I don't want to want him here. While quite nice, the São Paulo MTC (2nd largest on Earth,) is incredibly small compared to Provo. I was undoubtedly spoiled there. The food here isn't exciting. Thus far, all entrees have been brown. But the food is probably good, I'm just not used to it.

What to say of Brazil? The scenery is gorgeous, it's truly beautiful. The people are fairly warm, (you may tell Colin there are many beautiful women, if you'd like) but São Paulo is the filthiest, most unattractive city up close I have ever seen. Perhaps it was just the route we took, but we passed several concrete facilities which looked like prisons, and a number of slums. I'm trying to be Christ-like and do like Dad said, "love the people and your companions" but part of me hopes Goiânia is much better, and the other is screaming for America.

But I will not go back, Now, nor ever, I will not return till I have done that which my Father in Heaven has asked of me. I do not turn from this. It occurs to me life was easy in Utah. Following the testimony of the Spirit comes the trial of faith. I will throw myself into the work anew. It's going to get even harder yet, so there's no point in being defeatist now. "Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies," after all. I will continue to seek to obtain the Word and pray oft for the Spirit to be with me. This is to be the happiest time of my life, so I need to keep the attitude God granted me in Provo.

The back of this sheet is the instructions for sending me mail. I assume it applies for the next 7 weeks (God willing, we leave the 6th of January.) After that, I am not sure. AS usual, I can e-mail only on P-Day (though now I've 45 minutes) but it will be in a public shop inside the MTC approved boundary. Please send my friends' addresses as posted on the wall in my room, or have Colin call them and give them my address and have them write me. The mission home address is in my next letter. Send my love to Dad, Matt, Katie, Megan, Colin, Grampa, my friends, Chingu and everyone else. I love you Mom. Don't worry about me. I've probably just hit a rut. I'll just keep praying for better times, and Father in Heaven will provide. In the meantime, keep praying.

Love,
Elder Bryan J Barney

No comments:

Post a Comment